8.07.2010

The Prophet and Pain

{Enjoying milk and stories yesterday on our little coastal excursion}
While I'm thankful for less pain today, I ache and can't get comfortable. The fatigue threatens to crush me. I was able to get a nap in {huge thanks to my husband of almost 8 years for taking the girls bike-riding so I could rest.}

Yesterday I read The Prophet for the first time. I found this section on Pain worth a second and third read, and I'm still pondering it:
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain. And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wonderous than your joy; And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields. And that you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief. Much of your pain is self-chosen. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility: For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen, And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own Sacred tears."
Your comments and support, both here and on the FB page, are so appreciated. I sometimes find illness and pain isolating, and today I'm feeling that sense of disconnect. Thanks for being here.

5 comments:

  1. The Prophet is a favourite of mine after being introduced to it 10 years ago or so. I hope that it gives you some comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful passage- the image of Christ there with you, bringing you comfort and hurting with you.. There is nothing that we go through where He hasn't already walked before us down that road. I don't "understand" exactly, but I've felt isolation in circumstances- keep reaching out- we're here and will do all we can to listen, support, and strengthen... Love ya Jen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pain is physical, mine is emotional and yet it is quite the same. It amazes me sometimes how we "survive" what we think is the most debilitating pain. I don't have much faith these days, and I know that now is when I need it the most. Even when you are feeling so physically exhausted, you still manage to create inspiration in others - all without meaning to. You inspire me all the time. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the words to say, but I do know that I care about you, and that you are one of my dear friends. I wish I knew how to help you and bring a little more sunshine to your life. Love you, Dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there cousin,
    I'm thinking about you and hope that today is a better day for you. How about I wish you a happy it's my husbands birthday?:) Celebrating birthdays always makes me feel better. Granted it is better when it is mine but hey, I'll claim joy in Dave's also;)

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...